The apple crisp macchiato is a Starbucks fall menu drink, reminding me of an apple pie served with a macchiato. Add cinnamon, spices, brown sugar, and oat milk to that mix, and you will get a delicious combination for the fall and winter seasons.
If you also find that the apple drizzle in this Starbucks drink is too sweet and heavy and sinks to the bottom of the cup, then we have good news for you!
I spent many hours perfecting this recipe to make a tasty homemade apple crisp macchiato that is easy to prepare and will be as sweet as you like. Scroll down to find out how!
Apple Crisp Macchiato Recipe
If the blend of apple and coffee doesn’t sound particularly appealing to you at first, don’t worry. This drink is more nuanced than simple apple flavors.
The result is a thrilling fall drink with healthy spices such as cinnamon and nutmeg, and creamy oat milk. And if you go for the iced version, this can also be a great summer drink!
Traditionally, apple coffee drinks use cinnamon and nutmeg as the base spices. Then cardamon or ginger can be added depending on preference. All these spices combine well with espresso and make this drink delicious.
Ingredients You’ll Need
This recipe contains the usual ingredients for a macchiato: espresso, milk, syrup, and topping.
Starbucks uses shot(s) of blonde espresso in the standard Apple Crisp Macchiato. There are many ways to make espresso at home, whether you have an espresso machine or not.
You could make a double-strength coffee using almost any brewing method.
The standard milk at Starbucks for this drink is now oat milk. If you are making this drink hot, you will need to heat the milk and froth it.
You could use an electric milk boiler or electric kettle, microwave, or a simple pan on a stovetop or induction hob.
Starbucks uses brown apple sugar syrup as the base flavor for this macchiato.
You can easily make this syrup at home.
If you want to buy the syrup, there is nothing that fits exactly, but there are some you can try. The Torani apple syrup will give your drink a similar flavor.
The Starbucks topping is the spiced apple drizzle that can be overly sweet. Yes, it is so sugary! The apple drizzle is different from the apple syrup because this one includes all the spices and sugar, while the syrup is just a mixture of brown sugar, natural flavors, and water.
You have several options for making the topping at home. I suggest making this by mixing the caramel sauce with the brown sugar apple syrup. You can also use the syrup or the caramel sauce plain without mixing it in.
What is the Apple Crisp Macchiato?
Starbucks first introduced the Apple Crisp Macchiato on the fall 2021 menu.
The apple crisp macchiato is a layered beverage with apple brown sugar syrup, Starbucks Blonde Espresso, spiced apple drizzle with cinnamon, and oat milk.
How Do You Make an Iced Apple Crisp Macchiato?
This iced drink is easy to prepare. Follow the steps as described below, but use cold milk. To make the drink, add the syrup at the bottom, then the espresso. About halfway through, add the milk, then the ice, and finally the espresso and drizzle.
How to Make an Apple Crisp Macchiato
Prepare this Starbucks favorite at home, too. It’s a great fall espresso reminiscent of apple pie. It’s easy to make hot or over ice.
Total time: 10 minutes
Servings: 2 drinks
Brown Apple Sugar Syrup
You can also use the Torani apple syrup which already contains pure cane sugar. You will need to add cinnamon and nutmeg to it.
Spiced Apple Drizzle
- 4 shots of espresso or double-strength coffee
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar apple syrup
- 16 oz Oatly oatmilk
Brown Apple Sugar Syrup
- Whisk together the water, apple juice, and brown sugar in a pan. Heat the mixture until it comes to a boil.
- Add the spices and whisk together as soon as it starts to boil.
- After adding the spices boil for two minutes.
- Remove and let cool. Then best to store it in the refrigerator.
Spiced Apple Drizzle
- Whisk the brown apple sugar syrup and caramel sauce in a small bowl until combined. Add water to make it less sweet.
- Pour the brown apple sugar syrup into the bottom of the cup.
- Heat the oat milk or other milk of your choice to 140° F
- Froth the milk with a milk frother or coffee maker. Pour the milk over the syrup. Make sure there is at least a half inch of foam on top. Leave enough room to add the espresso shots on top.
- Pour the two ounces of espresso or double-strength coffee over the milk for each serving.
- Sprinkle some cinnamon on top to finish.
Frequently Asked Questions
Does Apple Crisp Macchiato contain coffee?
Yes, the standard menu drink contains Starbucks Blonde espresso. It is also available to order with the Signature espresso roast and the various decaffeinated roasts.
How much caffeine is in the Apple Crisp macchiato?
A 12oz Tall Starbucks Apple Crisp Oatmilk Macchiato contains a single shot of espresso and 85 milligrams of caffeine.
A 16 oz Grande of the same drink comes with a double shot of Blonde espresso and contains 170 mg of caffeine.
Is the Apple Crisp Macchiato dairy-free?
The Starbucks apple crisp macchiato is served with oat milk and oat milk is vegan non-dairy milk. Starbucks uses the Oatly oat milk brand. You can always ask the barista to customize it and use different milk.
For the homemade drink, we recommend using oatmilk but you can always try alternative milk.
- How to Make a Starbucks Frappuccino at Home
- Starbucks Strawberry Acai Refresher Copycat
- How to Make Starbucks Whipped Cream
- Apple Crisp Macchiato Recipe
- Ingredients You’ll Need
- What is the Apple Crisp Macchiato?
- How Do You Make an Iced Apple Crisp Macchiato?
- How to Make an Apple Crisp Macchiato
- Frequently Asked Questions