Starbucks is more than a coffee shop. Much more! Starbucks is a place where your coffee dreams come true. A true coffee lover’s paradise with endless coffee options.
Starbucks is also a popular and easily accessible meeting place for students. But does Starbucks allow studying?
If you’re wondering how long you can stay at Starbucks in 2023 and whether Starbucks is a good place to study, read on to find out!
Does Starbucks Allow Studying?
Yes, Starbucks locations allow studying indoors and outdoors without the need to purchase anything. Starbucks positions itself as a “third place” where people can come together, and relax while enjoying great coffee.
While coffee and, increasingly, food are the focus at Starbucks, they encourage connection and convenience for all customers. What this means is that you do not need to worry about studying at Starbucks and being kicked out.
Can I Study at Starbucks without Buying Anything?
Image credit: Starbucks
Yes, Starbucks does not restrict the amount of time you can spend at their stores without buying anything. Some smaller coffee shops might have a more restrictive policy including time limits for customers.
If you plan to spend some time at Starbucks, we recommend buying at least one coffee. Why?
- Starbucks will keep you happily caffeinated, which can help you with focus and productivity while studying. You probably don’t want to fall asleep over homework. Their coffee is delicious too!
- Even if you buy one cup of coffee, that can go a long way in supporting your local Starbucks but also the entire coffee supply chain: From farmers to coffee roasters to your friendly Starbucks barista making a living.
So while you can study at Starbucks for free, we recommend grabbing a coffee or your favorite item(s) from the Starbucks menu.
How Long Can You Study at Starbucks?
Starbucks encourages coffee culture and connecting at the coffee shop. There is no official time limit on how long you can stay inside or outside the coffee shop’s premises, especially if you have made at least one purchase.
This might be different for each person, but I never felt comfortable camping in a coffee shop or a restaurant unless I ordered something. Besides, I have my favorite Starbucks coffees that I want to keep enjoying while sitting there.
Is Starbucks a Good Place to Study?
Image credit: Starbucks
What We Like:
- Starbucks is everywhere
- Comfortable environment, cozy chairs
- Free Starbucks WiFi
- Great coffee and a good source of caffeine
What We Don’t Like:
- Can be noisy
- Limited seating during peak hours
- Slight risk of caffeine addiction
Why Do Students Go To Starbucks To Study Instead Of Studying At Home?
Image credit: Anton Novoderezhkin, TASS
If you feel isolated studying alone, or studying a boring subject, then it might help you to sit with other people at Starbucks who are also studying or working on something. It can help you stay motivated.
We have already mentioned that Starbucks has good amenities such as fast and free WiFi, good aircon, and comfy chairs, and it might have an edge compared to your home study area setup or a college dorm.
We are not saying one is better than the other. There are many benefits to studying at home, such as greater privacy and typically less noise.
Can You Do Homework at Starbucks?
People can go to Starbucks to do their homework, whether they are students or adults.
Starbucks is also a great third meeting place to catch up on homework, projects, presentations, etc.
If you arrive outside of peak hours, then you should have no problem getting a good seat. If the noise is too much for you to concentrate on, why not bring noise-canceling headphones and listen to your favorite playlist?
Where Else Can You Go To Study?
The ideal place to study may be different for everyone. So we’ve made a list of some of the popular places to study and we hope that some will be a good study location for you:
- Coffee shops: Other than Starbucks you could try any other coffee shop with free Wifi, although they might have a different coffee selection and amenities.
- The Library: The library offers plenty of space and good Wifi and should be more quiet than a coffee shop.
- An Empty Classroom: This might be a great place to study individually or in smaller study groups.
- Book Store: Whether it’s Barnes & Noble or a smaller bookstore, they usually have plenty of space and are welcoming to students. They might serve coffee too!
- Friends: Studying with friends is great, especially if you can combine your strengths in various subjects and motivate each other
- Outdoor: If you can find a good spot outdoors then you might consider studying in the fresh air on campus or off campus.
Bottom Line: Does Starbucks Allow Studying
Does Starbucks allow studying? Yes, absolutely. Starbucks welcomes you with friendly baristas, fast WiFi, comfy chairs, an extensive coffee menu, and tasty food.
When it’s time for homework, we recommend: Headphones on, music on, books open, and a caffeine booster in front of you!
- Starbucks Cup Sizes Explained: How Big is Starbucks Trenta?
- 10 TikTok Starbucks Drinks You Need to Try
- Can You Get Starbucks Delivered
Featured image credit: Sabrina Yan, University of Illinois, dailyillini.com
- Does Starbucks Allow Studying?
- Can I Study at Starbucks without Buying Anything?
- How Long Can You Study at Starbucks?
- Is Starbucks a Good Place to Study?
- Why Do Students Go To Starbucks To Study Instead Of Studying At Home?
- Can You Do Homework at Starbucks?
- Where Else Can You Go To Study?
- Bottom Line: Does Starbucks Allow Studying